Are Pregnidos sustainable?
Opposed to the throw-away mentality which dominates the fashion industry, we create long-lasting shoes made of superior materials.
Our shoes are manufactured in a family-run factory in Northern Portugal, in fair work conditions. The transport routes are kept as short as possible.
What causes the swelling of the feet and ankles in pregnancy?
As you can read here more extensively, the swelling occurs due to a combination of several factors, like for e.g.:
- more fluids are built and held back in the body of the mother in order that the healthy growth and development of the baby is ensured;
- the increased weight of the uterus which presses on the lower extremities and veins, thus hindering the normal transportation of the blood to the heart; the blood and the blood fluid (plasma) start to pool in the legs;
- the softening of the tissues and vein walls due to the pregnancy hormones, which allows plasma to penetrate into the neighboring tissues.
Which characteristics should have good shoes for pregnancy?
- Adjustable volume which allows the shoes to fit the changing degree of swelling during the day;
- Easy to put on so that the pregnant woman doesn’t have to bend long over the baby bump;
- Anatomic form and a wider fit, so that the feet have enough space in the shoes;
- Stable to ensure a proper position for the back and the whole body, thus avoiding back pain and an unnatural, forced posture;
- Anti-slip soles for the safety of the mom and the baby;
- Moderate wedges for added comfort. Flat soles don’t ensure a comfortable position, considering the changed axis of the body;
- Natural materials to prevent excessive sweating of the foot, bad smell and / or skin allergy.
Why is it not recommended to wear high heels during pregnancy?
High heels are fashionable and great to wear before the pregnancy, although unhealthy, as we know.
However, if you are pregnant and especially if your feet swell,which is often the case, you should avoid wearing such shoes, because normally they are very narrow and constrict the feet. The forced elevation of the heels increase the pooling of fluids in the feet and thus the swelling. Your feet stand in a completely uncomfortable, unnatural position and they ache. If the shoes have straps, these put additional pressure on the swelling or you are not even able to close them. With the added weight and your center of gravity being changed during pregnancy, walking on high heels is totally unsafe for you and the baby, with a high risk of slipping and falling.
How long is a pregnant woman affected by the water retention in the legs?
The swelling of the feet and ankles occurs mostly from the second trimester onwards and it lasts until after a few days or weeks after the birth. However, there are cases when the feet remain swollen even months after the baby is born.
Do all women get swollen feet during pregnancy?
Around 70% to 80% of the pregnant women suffer from foot swelling.
Do I really need different shoes during pregnancy?
If your feet swell, yes, you will need other shoes. You notice anyhow that your usual shoes do not fit anymore. If you continue to wear your regular shoes, your feet will be very constricted, you will feel uncomfortable and your foot health may be affected in the long term.
How are Pregnidos different from other shoes on the market?
We design our maternity shoes "to grow with the feet" during pregnancy. By being expandable, they fit perfectly also the "normalized" feet after the baby birth.
Our shoes are not only flexibly adjustable but also very comfortable, given the anatomic form and the normal width of the last which we use, and also considering the high-quality of the materials. Pregnidos are easy to put on and off, so that the future mom does not bend long over the baby bump. They provide stability to the pregnant woman or the mama with the baby in her arms and, with their rubber outsoles, they do not put them at the risk of slipping away.
Another important criterium when designing Pregnidos is the aesthetic component. Our maternity shoes have to be not only very comfy and safe but also great-looking, so that moms enjoy wearing them.
Pregnidos are designed in Germany and meticulously handmade in Portugal in a small family-run shoe factory.
Can I wear Pregnidos also after the pregnancy?
The design of our shoes is consciously conceived so that Pregnidos can be flexibly adjusted to the changing dimensions of the feet during pregnancy and after the baby birth.
Which outfits can I wear with Pregnidos?
Our maternity shoes suit to casual and elegant styles alike, making you look chic and unique in any situation. We want moms to feel both comfortable and beautiful wearing Pregnidos in all life situations: during a walk in the city, at work, on travel or at parties.